Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Despise Not the Journey

The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
    He delights in every detail of their lives.
Though they stumble, they will never fall,
    for the Lord holds them by the hand--Psalm 37:23 -24


As I prayed tonight, what kept coming to mind was, "Despise not the Steps I have ordered".  I considered this in light of this  promise filled verse in the Psalms that I have thought of many times.  I have stood on and trusted this promise.  I have prayed and believed this promise for others, especially for those seeking to "walk in God's will."  As a matter of fact, this entire Psalm 37, is one of my favorites.  It is chock full of amazing promises one might hear seasoned Christians proclaim.

Nevertheless, I realized tonight as I prayed, that I and perhaps many of you, often only look at the portion of this verse describing how he directs or orders our steps - as though it were only talking about the "good steps", the encounters we enjoy.

Yet the truth, the promise, is contained in the remaining verses as well -- "He delights in EVERY DETAIL...Though they STUMBLE, they will NEVER FALL." (emphasis mine)

How many times do we become disheartened on the journey, feeling as if something is amiss because it isn't perfect?  How many times do we question the path, and even our own ability to "hear HIM" well enough,  to trust that this difficult path IS a part of the journey- guided by HIM?  "Did God really say....?"  


Do we still live thinking that only the good things in our lives are a part of HIS blessings and forget that " He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." Matthew 5: 45 ? 

I wonder.  I wonder how many times we have missed out on a breakthrough, because we decided to change the direction of a path we didn't like, that we despised because it failed to meet our expectations?

Tonight, I was reminded to NOT despise the steps he has allowed me to take on my journey.  EVEN if I have "mis-stepped" for some reason, HE IS STILL IN CHARGE and is able to turn my blunders into amazing exploits.  EVEN IF I have been deceived by the ENEMY of MY SOUL, GOD in HIS mighty power was aware of it, and even ALLOWED ME to experience the turmoil.  For what purpose you ask?  I can't begin to say I always know.  But I do know, many times these trials have lead me to depend greatly on HIM and reveal to me HIS GLORY and POWER in ways I would not have known had I not experienced, or taken those "steps". 

Such experiences make relevant what we read in James 1:2a - 4 "...count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

So with that said, I take heed his reminder to me to "Not Despise The Steps I Have Ordered" and I rejoice that I have  such a colorful journey.  I rejoice that I have learned to appreciate the good and the bad.  I rejoice that I get to learn that that I have so much more growing to do.  I rejoice that I am going to be the recipient of some wonderful and glorious promises.  YOU will, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment